Here is my sardine or mackerel salad recipe that I make virtually every week with Vital Choice canned seafood. Why?! It is an excellent Source of Vitamin D which most of us are in need of at this time of year … and I think quite delicious!
The following are not exact measurements and can be changed according to your taste:
In a glass bowl, I mix …
- 1 can of Vital Choice wild-caught boneless Sardines or my preference is Sardines with bones. I also use Mackerel in olive oil – with the skin.
- About 1/2 to 1 whole organic celery stalk – minced
- About 1/2 medium or 1 small organic red pepper – minced
- 1 stalk of organic green onion – minced (optional for those who prefer to skip onion)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons of organic fennel – minced
- Sometimes, I add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of minced Italian parsley to the mix
- I have also added 1 or 2 Tablespoons minced endive to the mix …
- and squeezed lemon as well!
- I always add a generous pinch or two of Celtic sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- I eat this scooped into a half an avocado or with avocado slices, or I mash the avocado and mix it into the bowl … and/or topped on a plate of organic lettuce, perhaps with endive and radicchio and/or arugula mixed in.
When I eat the sardine or mackerel salad topped on a bed of lettuce, I use this homemade salad dressing from Max Shkud for the lettuce:
The amounts of each item can be varied according to your taste.
1/4 cup of extra virgin, cold pressed, olive oil
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar (optional)
1 Tablespoon of dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons of plain whole yogurt – add more if you’d like it more creamy and less spicy (I add more)
1/2 clove of garlic crushed
1 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed orange juice (optional)
1 teaspoon of maple syrup or honey (or more as per taste and whether or not you are using orange juice)