My Weston A. Price Foundation – Portland Co-Chapter Leader Rachel Spitler recently asked this question in our Nourished group on Facebook: “Fill in the blank! When I start to feel cold symptoms, I immediately …”
My response: I take Vitamin C in the form of Acerola powder that we recommend. I also take fermented garlic that I prepare during the year and take Yin Chiao. I defrost bone broth, and take more cod liver oil.
- Begin taking Vitamin C to bowl tolerance.
- Take some zinc and Vitamin C and chew a raw garlic glove.
- Eat honey garlic and stink.
- Start downing the raw honey and Apple Cider Vinegar [ACV].
- High Vitamin C dosage, probiotic and bone broth
- Take aconite! [Several responses with this answer. It’s a homeopathic remedy.]
- Make and take elderberry syrup.
- Take Manuka honey and do a neti pot.
- Snort colloidal silver and drink it and gargle with it. [I personally am not inclined to take it internally, however I do use it externally.]
- Broth, broth and more broth.
- Chop up raw local garlic, let it sit 15 min for the allicin to be released and then swallow the pieces as if they are pills with bone broth or raw milk. I do this twice a day until symptoms subside.
- ACV and honey drink. Lots.
- Drink tea (a spicy, rooibos) with lemon and cinnamon.
- Eat some fresh garlic, drink warm lemon honey tea, have a shot of apple cider vinegar, and douse myself in essential oils!
- Get adjusted! [Chiropractic]
- Take some zinc and a “cold shot” of garlic, ginger, etc.
- If it is throats related gargle with salt or baking soda. If it really intense start taking colloidal silver vitamin c and yin chao herbs.
- Manila honey and home made elderberry syrup
- Umcka and elderberry
- Fire cider [mentioned by several]
- Drink water, take Yin Ciao and vitamin c, make my voodoo cold and flu remedy: acv/chamomile/ginger/honey /lemon/cayenne – drink 1/4c every 2 hours for 48 hours, drink lots of bone broth with extra garlic, gargle with sea salt and warm water, go to sleep, take more yin ciao, water, eat probiotic foods or take probiotic supplements, and repeat from the top – all gone pretty damn fast!
- One drop of tea tree oil on my tongue. This works for all sorts of viruses that start in the body – urinary tract infections too.
- Dissolve probiotics in my mouth. For sniffles, runny nose, sore throat etc not just a sinus infection as the title mentions.
- Eat fermented sauerkraut.
- Elderberry syrup, zinc lozenges, oil of oregano and acerola.
- Hot tea with raw honey (let the tea cool a little first), elderberry syrup, zinc, rest.
- Start taking zinc, elderberry syrup and grab my Neti pot. Haven’t had to do this for a few years now.
- Double my Juice Plus dosage. [We don’t recommend Juice Plus.]
- I’m too busy tending to my germy little kids to notice, but then I have an excuse to take an Epsom salt bath and go to bed.
- Echinacea, Vit C, deep immune booster, fresh squeezed OJ or lemon with Manuka honey, Innovite probiotic, zinc … and then 30 mins later Dr Reckeweg Bio 88 for Virus and R49 for Sinus … and bedtime!
- Barlean’s Olive Leaf serum (I prefer the natural flavor rather than the peppermint one). Homemade chicken bone broth, fire cider, elderberry syrup.
- Take a nap.
- Zinc and C to start, then a nap and something spicy to eat.
- Drink sauer kraut juice.
- Stop eating sugar and carbs, take my probiotics and supplements, and drink my homemade kefir and go to bed and wake up healthy again.
- I pull out my thieves essential oil and put it on the bottom of my feet and take an Inner Defense, probiotics, and/or some Ningxia Red. Then I might start pulling out elderberries, honey, activated charcoal, or garlic, but I haven’t needed to in a while. I hope it stays that way.
- Take some elderberry tincture! [mentioned by others as well.]
- Elderberry, echinacea and fire cider. This combo has knocked it down many times for me and family. Usually a pot of chicken soup gets started as well.
- Eat kimchi and put a chicken in the pot.
- Eat a clove of garlic.
- Take Buried Treasure ACF
- Golden seal, echinacea and lots of Vitamin C.
- Put some Thieves oil in my feet and if I have some on hand, take some Dr. Schultz “flu shot”, echinacea Plus, or Master Tonic!
- Buy a pineapple and eat bits throughout the whole day while on the go.
- Seriously, any or all of the above are great things we keep in our home arsenal and then I use my momma intuition to decide which ones are right. We always rinse our ears with peroxide, too, and gargle with salt water.
- I take a few drops of oregano oil, from bio active nutrients, in my morning shake.
What would you add to our list?
I posted a link to this article on various pages and groups on Facebook and had a fair number of community members comment on what they do. See them here:
The Weston A. Price Foundation on Facebook
Nourishing Ourselves on Facebook
Nourished [a group] on Facebook
Nourished Children [a group] on Facebook
8 Responses to What do you do at the first sign of cold symptoms?
Peroxide in the ears, probiotics, Thieves, oregano, and lemon on the feet, Frankinscence on the spine, lavender on each side of the nostrils, and lots of water. Excessive to some, but works so well!
I have not tried peroxide in the ears. How much? A couple/few drops?
I swab my ears with a q tip dipped in peroxide and swab my nose as well. I take lots of zinc and c and this works very well for me.
Nasal irrigation with a Nasaline. Neti pot works too. ABSOLUTE BEST action to take in my experience. I’ve felt a change within minutes. Got this from Dr. Getoff.
At the first sign of symptoms, we reach for Lomatium and also use the Silver Pulser from Sota Instruments. No colds or flu for several years. Trust me, nothing else works as well.
just eat liver, seafood, eggs and things rich in fat soluble vitamins and the rest would take care of itself
5gms of LIPOSOMAL vitamin C straight off as soon as cold symptoms begin to appear and then 1gm three times per day until better. It’s the liposomal formulation that makes all the difference.
I think you mean manuka honey, not manila honey? You might want to edit in the post. 😉 I take Cell Salt #4 Ferrum Phos. Gelsemium is also great for sore throats. My friend sells a great sage throat spray too, http://www.bluesapphiremedicine.com/store/p20/Any_two_Products%2C_in_any_combination%2Cmix%2C_match_or_double_up%2C_it%27s_up_to_you%21.html. It also comes in a room clearing spray – just don’t mix up which one you use in your mouth!