I endured a 24 hour headache a day ago and posted requests for natural remedies on Facebook both on my personal page and on the Nourishing Ourselves page. I thought I’d share an overview of some of the recommendations I received!
- Peppermint Essential Oil – recommend by several – Young Living in particular
- Wintergreen Essential Oil – Young Living also recommended
- Earthing – walking on the ground in bare feet or leather souled shoes.
- Chicken broth
- Epsom salt bath. We recommend these salts via our Amazon affiliation.
- Magnesium. We recommend Ancient Minerals and Life-flo pure magnesium sprays via our Amazon affiliation.
- An ice pack and a dark room. Ice on the back of the neck and the forehead. No loud noises or bright lights.
- Boswallia. Along those lines: “Curimen is a natural product that has lots of turmeric and boswelia in it. When my husband worked at the health food store, they sold lots of this with great testimonials.”
- Dr. Morter’s Trace Minerals in a glass of filtered water with a 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt recommended via our Amazon affiliation
I didn’t try all the remedies suggested to me but, I used ice packs, took an Epsom salt bath, ConcenTrace (which is a full spectrum mineral formula which includes magnesium), drank homemade chicken broth, walked on beach for 45 minutes bare foot – earthing, and saw my acupuncturist Daniela Freda who applied peppermint oil and treated me with needles and moxibustion. We believe this headache was hormonally based due to a very heavy menstrual flow.
After 24 hours, the first sign of relief came with the Epsom salt bath. The ice didn’t really have an impact. After the Epsom salt bath, I felt well enough to walk on the beach bare foot on a relatively warm day in San Francisco. Tthe acupuncture appointment followed and after that … I was home free!
Apparently, each headache is different — and several who offered me advice suggested it is helpful to know what caused the headache, if at all possible, in order to treat it.
* One recommendation from Deborah Landowne was to take homeopathic cell salts. Cell salts are usually sold in quick-dissolve tablet form in a 3x or 6x potency. We recommend these from Nigey Lennon via our Amazon affiliation.
- Mag-phos for muscular aches (also good for menstrual cramps, pulled muscles), its nick-name is “homeopathic aspirin.”
- Kali-phos for more nerve-type headaches, stress, lack of sleep.
- Ferrum-phos if you feel a flu/cold coming on.
6 Responses to Natural Headache Remedies
If it is hormone based then go after the liver with Livco or Livaplex, Nicinamide B6, B12 and Chaste Tree. I then apply natural pergesterone cream to the lower abdomen. And drink at least a half gallon of water with 1 teaspoon of Real Salt in it.
No matter what type of headache it is, I go to my chiropractor that specializes in Cranial Therapy and Neuromuscular Release. Chiropractic is the first stop for headaches bar none!
Homeopathy works beautifully for recurring headaches. I have great success with migraines, and the best part is, they go away and stay away when treated constitutionally.
Homeopathy works so well precisely because your individual symptoms are matched to a remedy, which then stimulates your immune system to heal the problem at it’s source. No two headaches are exactly alike, just as no two people are the same.
An excellent whole food supplement for reducing headaches severity and frequency in addition to many other health benefits is Green Pasture’s Blue Ice fermented Cod Liver Oil. Cod Liver Oil thins the blood, increasing circulation and softens arterial walls so that they are more flexible.
Glad your headache went away! Isn’t in nice to have so many options!!
Yes! I was blessed with about 100 responses to my request for natural remedies for headache!
I’ve had amazing success with cinnamon. Just a teaspoon of cinnamon in a little bit of milk. Add some brown sugar and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir well so most of cinnamon dissolves and then drink. Usually kicks a quite severe headache for me in about 30-45 mins.
i recently wrote a guest blog detailing additional essential oil remedies for headaches — http://butternutrition.com/natural-headache-relief/