I endured a 24 hour headache a day ago and posted requests for natural remedies on Facebook both on my personal page and on the Nourishing Ourselves page. I thought I’d share an overview of some of the recommendations I received!
- Peppermint Essential Oil – recommend by several – Young Living in particular
- Wintergreen Essential Oil – Young Living also recommended
- Earthing – walking on the ground in bare feet or leather souled shoes.
- Chicken broth
- Epsom salt bath. We recommend these salts via our Amazon affiliation.
- Magnesium. We recommend Ancient Minerals and Life-flo pure magnesium sprays via our Amazon affiliation.
- An ice pack and a dark room. Ice on the back of the neck and the forehead. No loud noises or bright lights.
- Boswallia. Along those lines: “Curimen is a natural product that has lots of turmeric and boswelia in it. When my husband worked at the health food store, they sold lots of this with great testimonials.”
- Dr. Morter’s Trace Minerals in a glass of filtered water with a 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt recommended via our Amazon affiliation
I didn’t try all the remedies suggested to me but, I used ice packs, took an Epsom salt bath, ConcenTrace (which is a full spectrum mineral formula which includes magnesium), drank homemade chicken broth, walked on beach for 45 minutes bare foot – earthing, and saw my acupuncturist Daniela Freda who applied peppermint oil and treated me with needles and moxibustion. We believe this headache was hormonally based due to a very heavy menstrual flow.
After 24 hours, the first sign of relief came with the Epsom salt bath. The ice didn’t really have an impact. After the Epsom salt bath, I felt well enough to walk on the beach bare foot on a relatively warm day in San Francisco. Tthe acupuncture appointment followed and after that … I was home free!
Apparently, each headache is different — and several who offered me advice suggested it is helpful to know what caused the headache, if at all possible, in order to treat it.
* One recommendation from Deborah Landowne was to take homeopathic cell salts. Cell salts are usually sold in quick-dissolve tablet form in a 3x or 6x potency. We recommend these from Nigey Lennon via our Amazon affiliation.
- Mag-phos for muscular aches (also good for menstrual cramps, pulled muscles), its nick-name is “homeopathic aspirin.”
- Kali-phos for more nerve-type headaches, stress, lack of sleep.
- Ferrum-phos if you feel a flu/cold coming on.